Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mandolin Tip 2: When to Change Strings

Have you ever wondered when it is time to change your strings?

I have noticed there are some folks who like that fresh string sound before gigs or recording.

There are others who like the security of knowing they have less chances of breaking a string during a session with a new set of wires on their axe.

I change my stings, when needed.

99% of the time my E or A string will slightly dis-cord on the 11 and 12th fret. That’s my cue..string change needed.

If you have any dis-cord sound, inspect and change as needed.

Also if its before a big session/gig/jam..a good idea too so you are not worried about it.

Monitor Breakage: If you have strings that are breaking in the same spot all the time, inspect that area of the mandolin where they are breaking and repair. Most times a simple sanding or polishing does the trick. Good practice in knowing all aspects of your instrument.

Q. So when one  breaks a single string,  is it good to change them all?

A. I usually do. Others are soon to follow so might as well install the other 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment